Friday, February 23, 2007

CoJourner Equipping - Making a difference?

After CoJourner equipping sessions, I am generally very encouraged with the initial feedback. People seem to like it and think it will be helpful. But, let's be honest. When it comes to evangelism, there is generally more good intentions than actual action. So when you (no I) do a seminar and move on, what really happens? Does it make a difference?

Well, this week I started a new five week CoJourner seminar series with individuals working at CCC headquarters. After a very good introductory session (from my point of view), two different individuals came up to share stories with me. Both had been in previous CoJourner sessions in different contexts. Both had stories to tell of how they saw God open doors for them to witness as a result. One was with a neighbor who has now begun to attend church after years of uninvolvment. (That's progress in the right direction.) The other was with a postman. Here is a snippet of the story, sent to me afterwards...
Well, as I ended up taking a few different trips to the post office to mail the books out to the entirety of my ministry team, each time God had a conversation waiting there or me. Because I had a number of books I was mailing each time, I probably spent about 20 minutes with each postman as he printed off each individual postage label. What better time than the present to strike up a conversation. With each conversation there was a natural opportunity to share what exactly it was that I was mailing, because how many people walk into the post office to mail the exact same thing to 35 - 40 of their closest friends! The first two conversations I had were definitely seed planting conversations; they listened and maybe asked a question or two, but then the conversation moved on to other things. The third opportunity took me a bit off guard… As I was chatting with postman Mike, he asked me about what I was mailing and I shared my story. His next words caught me by surprise… he wanted to know if I had a book that he could have since this was such a great story! I wasn’t prepared with a book on hand, but ended up bringing him one back the following week. Since then I have been back to the post office once and happened to see Mike. He mentioned that he’s only read a chapter or two. Please pray for Mike, as he his obviously seeking God, whether he knows it or not!
It's encouraging to hear how God continues to use CoJourner's to spur believers on in engaging in other's spiritual journeys.

No comments: