Saturday, February 17, 2007

Persecution - A Morning Reflection

Here’s a reflection bound to make you uncomfortable (or at least it has me):

The last few morning’s, I’ve been ruminating on Jesus’ interaction with the so-called “rich young man” and the subsequent discussion with his followers (find it in Mark 10:17-31). The passage is rich, overflowing with more insights and implications than I care to write here (or that you would want to read here.) In the end, Jesus promises three things to all who truly leave all to follow him. Followers can expect:

  1. A hundred times more of all they left now in this time
  2. Persecution now in this time
  3. Eternal life in the age to come

It is #2 that has my attention at the moment.

Why are Christ-followers persecuted?

To start with, let me be honest. My experience of persecution has been so light, that should all the persecuted be set in a line—most persecuted at the front, least in the back—I am quite concerned that I would find myself close to the end of the line. So for me to comment on persecution is like a sportswriter who played little league critiquing the skills of major league baseball stars. But ultimately this is a reflection about me. And Jesus’ words are meant to rework our mental models, and thus transform our very beings (Romans 12:2), so here goes.

  • As Sovereign Creator, God is the Sovereign Ruler of all people.
  • The evil that infects us has produced a humanity operating in willful rebellion to God.
  • Humanity is resistant to any challenge to this present order, if the challenge threatens personal status, power or property resulting from this present state.
  • Therefore any attempts to restore proper order (i.e. return to God’s rule) are met with hostile resistance.

This was true of the prophets in the Old Testament. This was true of the apostles in the New Testament. This has been true of the missionaries and messengers through the centuries.

So, if it is not true for us, here at this time, I must ask why? Is it because we live in a setting no longer in active rebellion, therefore there is no one being threatened? (The answer is “No”.) Or is it that we pose no serious threat to the present rebellious order, thus we are ignored?

Hmm… Just wondering? (I wonder how my reflection compares with actual historical evidence. Where is that article on "persecution" from the New Bible Dictionary? Ah, interesting. I must read more on this.)

No comments: