Friday, January 26, 2007

Reflections - Acts 6:1-7 & Table-waiting

In my reflections, I sense the voice of God’s Spirit, speaking softly but with increasing clarity, through these words (Acts 6:1-7) to me.

  • Table-waiting is a God-given assignment, not to be neglected or undervalued.
  • Table-waiting’s significance is linked in two effects: enables something more important to be done by others (the primacy of prayer and the ministry of the word) and the satisfaction of real needs (in this case, hunger.)
  • Table-waiting meets real needs (not just satisfying someone else’s desires and expectation.) Food is a real need. Most of us are never without an adequate supply of it. But these widows were.

A significant portion of my current “assignment” involves a table-waiting role within the body (servant-leadership). God still grants me plentiful teaching opportunities. And, with my beloved (and others), I continue to participate in the spiritual labor of prayer. But much of what I do, I do so others can do what is more important – devote themselves to prayer and the ministry of the word.

For many years, that was my primary assignment. But for this season, I am serving (perhaps 70% of my time and speaking/teaching perhaps 30%). (BTW - contrast to apostolic ministry in 5:42 where "every day, in the temple and house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ."

Am I clear on my current assignment, before the Lord? Yes, it is clear and I continue to embrace it. Is something more important being done by others because of my service? By the grace of God, yes, and the evidence is often humbling. The number of disciples (Christ-followers) appears to be increasing (and my role apparently contributes). Am I meeting real needs? Hmm… I must think more on this. Or is it, I must listen more closely? The Spirit speaks…

No comments: