Sunday, January 7, 2007

Reflecting on Jesus at Work

Meditating…

Just read Mark 7:37 – They said of Jesus, “He has done all things well.” The people, of course, were “astonished” by what Jesus had done – healing a deaf man. And this was in the region of Decapolis where he had previously delivered the man from a “legion” of demons. That story had also caused people there to marvel (Mark 5:20). As people saw Jesus in action, compassionately meeting needs and transforming individual realities, people recognized, “he has done all things well.”

I am three plus decades into my journey of following Jesus. As far as I know, he has not enabled me to do same astonishing works of power. At least that has not been my experience. But he has “created me… for good works which he prepared beforehand, that I should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). I have had opportunities to compassionately meet need and see lives transformed.

And he is at work in and through me as I do. While not an apostle, I should seek to follow Paul’s model and “not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring (others) to obedience—by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God” (Romans 5:18).

So, my question for myself this morning (and you can reflect on your own experience), as others see me serving in ministry, do they see Jesus at work, the one who “has done all things well”?

No comments: