Saturday, February 13, 2010

Making Sense of It All (1)

I just finished reading Thomas V. Morris’ Making Sense of It All. I read it on the recommendation of a friend, Dave. Now I must admit Dave made this recommendation fifteen years ago when we were spending a summer together doing ministry in Keszthely, Hungary. But I never forgot the recommendation and finally this winter, I bought and read the book. I’m glad I did.

First, I must say I became a bit intrigued by the life journey (or what I have been able to discern of it) of the author, Tom Morris: a philosopher, former Notre Dame professor (and apparently a very popular one at that), now a “public philosopher” (or at least he has his own institute) working with corporations. Hmm… curious, indeed. I think I would like to meet the man, if Providence should ever orchestrate it.

But I have also become more intrigued by Pascal and his insights into life, captured for posterity in the classic collection known as PensĂ©es. My real introduction (at least the one that caught my attention) came from seminary professor and mentor, Dr. Robert Coleman. I now wonder how Dr. Coleman, a man whose life has been defined and shaped by his Lord’s Great Commission, became interested in Pascal. Maybe I shall ask next time I have an opportunity.

But the question, you make ask, is what does all this have with my life and thoughts as a CoJourner? Well, I am growing convinced that Pascal offers us insight for the 21st Century post-postmodern (or whatever it is you’d like to call our world of thought and culture today.) He is a Guide par excellence. So I intend (and you know what often happens with good intentions) to reread this book (something I very rarely do. In fact, truth be told, though I love books and “read” many, I find very few books valuable enough to me to complete the reading the first time. ) I want to “harvest” valuable insights from this work to see if it can help me (a common Guide, in the CoJourner sense) “make sense of it all” for others on the journey of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that book! In fact, its content was one of my great takeaways from that summer. I've since loaned it out or lost it, but I've used what I learned from it in lots of conversations since then. Glad you finally got around to reading it. :)

Jamie P.

Keith Davy said...

I've always been a little slow. Maybe I was just waiting for this to be considered a "classic".

- KD