Friday, February 12, 2010

Backstory: This Is Why I Sat Here

I sat next to a 33-year-old, Chicago businessman on a flight Thursday. An alumnus of a school with a strong basketball program, he asked who I rooted for. Being an graduate of Nebraska, I said, “We don’t have much to root for in basketball. But football is another story.” I then raised the “spiritual flag” by mentioning that I was in Christian ministry and had led the ministry for 7 seasons with the NE Cornhuskers back in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

“Are you a minister?” he asked. That started one of the most amazing spiritual conversations I have had in a while. I EXPLORED asking questions and listening: his church connections (limited, but he does like Willowcreek), answers to prayer that he and his mother have seen (amazing), his relationships (feels some guilt over them), his own spiritual journey. He said he didn’t understand Jesus, the Trinity, or why he had to die on the cross. He preferred to go “straight to the source” in prayer.

I asked if I could take a shot at explaining why Jesus had to die. “Sure,” he replied.

So I pulled out my Bible and napkin. I showed him Romans 6:23 and drew the “one-verse” diagram. We talked through it very slowly and clearly, making sure he understood each word and all three phrases. “Does this make sense?”

“Yes, but it brings up a hundred more questions,” he said. “Like what?” I asked.

That launched us into another hour of questions and answers: regarding eternal life and living life to the full in the present; re: self-centered marriages vs. Christ-centered marriage; regarding the sin of those who lived before Jesus died; regarding reading the Bible and the difference between the four gospels.

I gave him a copy of Backstory and explained the story behind it, walking him through the 7 themes. As I focused on the response pages, I asked, “Is this true?” “Wow, I don’t know. Maybe I am just afraid of commitment,” he answered.

As we were landing, I gave him my e-mail and said we would be praying for him. I asked if he did make the decision to trust Christ as his Savior and Lord, would he write me and let me know? “Oh, I am sure you will be hearing from me. You will be the second to know” (i.e. after his mother).

“I think this is why I chose to sit here,” he said as he was getting up. Indeed, I am sure it was!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful story! I saw you speak at the Purdue CRU Fall Retreat last semester and I must say it most definitely was my turning point! I'm now following you on twitter and I enjoy seeing everything you have to say! You are inspirational, and I can see that you have introduced so many people to The Lord. I just want to say that I admire the way you let God's Love exude from you and that you made a difference in my life! Thanks so much!

~Alisha

Keith Davy said...

Alisha,
Thanks so much for the encouragement. This makes my day! It is always encouraging to get a glimpse of how God has been at work! How are things with the Purdue CRU. I have fond memories of my time with you all!

- Keith

Anonymous said...

Keith,

Absolutely. I, as well as a lot of my friends in CRU, thought your stories about the way you have kept track of every decision you have made in your life with God's help were amazingly beautiful! They truly touched us all and I remember that we were talking about you the whole ride home. :) Everything is going great here! Purdue CRU is getting ready to go on the Big Break trip to Panama City, Florida over Spring Break to share with people about The Lord! I'm not going with, unfortunately, because I'm already planning on going on a missions trip with my church here to Nicaragua in May. I'm so excited for the trip as it will be a learning experience for me in sharing my faith with people that I don't know at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how God is going to work through me and where He will guide me along the way! I love hearing your stories because they are so wonderfully encouraging. Take care, and thanks again for being such an inspiration!

~Alisha

Keith Davy said...

Alisha,
Your mission trip sounds like an exciting adventure! May God's hand be upon you and your travels, bearing fruit for his glory and other's good!

- Keith