Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Backstory on the iPad

Flying back from Indianapolis last week, I set next to Carl---an engineer returning home on a business trip. A bit of exploring  (see CoJourner role: The Explorer) revealed an ex-Catholic who considers himself "spiritual" and believes that the gnostic gospels are equally important as the canonical gospels. Hmm....

As we visited, I asked it I could briefly show him Backstory, a visual synopsis of the Bible. Using my iPad, loaded with a pdf of Backstory (and using the Documents to Go application), I walked him through the seven themes:
  • Intimacy
  • Betrayal
  • Anticipation
  • Pursuit
  • Sacrifice
  • Invitation
  • Reunion
Expanding each of the seven theme pages (i.e., the left-side photograph pages) to screen size and flipping through them one at a time, it was easy and engaging to briefly walk through and explain the story-line of the gospel. After further discussion, I offered him a printed copy of Backstory (the pamphlet), which he gladly received.

This was the first time I used my new iPad in a conversational witnessing experience. The iPad presentation of Backstory was gorgeous (given the black & white photography that provides the background for each theme.) Using the "up/down swipe" feature, enabled me to share without having to reference or even show the additional content (found on the right-side, white-background pages of Backstory). Knowing that the additional material was available at the swipe of a finger (i.e., right-to-left exposes the right-sde page; left-to-right returns to the photo-theme page) was nice, but not necessary for this conversation.

My conclusion: This will easily become my favorite way to share Christ when in a conversation it becomes appropriate to explain the gospel. 

BTW - Carl wasn't anywhere close to receiving Christ (as best as I could discern), but having a positive, engaging conversation, which included the gospel and for which he thanked me, was a gift from God. 

Here is a brief video introduction of how I used Backstory, shot with my iPhone video. Its not professional, but perhaps it will help...