Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Coming Evangelical Collapse - Scenario Planning?

I have begun to lead (in a very limited way) a group of national leaders in scenario planning. It is a fascinating exercise of which I am only beginning to learn the art and science. But I read this morning a fascinating scenario by the Internet Monk, Michael Spencer. Extrapolating from the current drift of Evangelicalism, he predicts its collapse in an article bearing that title, "The Coming Evangelical Collapse".

Spencer lists seven reasons for the collapse (written fuller and better than here), but their essence (for your quick read and reflection) are:
  1. Evangelicals identification with the culture war and with political conservatism.
  2. Failure to pass on to our young people an orthodox form of faith that can take root and survive the secular onslaught.
  3. Current models of the evangelical church.
  4. A self-serving educational system.
  5. The culture’s increased rejection of the “good works” evangelicals seek to do.
  6. A waning vitality of the Bible Belt.
  7. Declining financial resources.
Read his article for yourself.

Suppose he is right. How will this effect witness in the future? How will it effect ministries dedicated to evangelism and gospel ministry? How will it effect you?

Thoughts?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keith,

Maybe it would be better to label it "The Collapse of Evangelicalism in White America". Working in the Latino community I've seen a huge explosion in what God is doing. Maybe God just wants us to realize that our brand of cultural christianity needs to collapse.

Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Next-Evangelicalism-Freeing-Cultural-Captivity/dp/0830833609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245082024&sr=8-1

I think you'll really enjoy it, even if some of it does make you mad.

-eric

Keith Davy said...

Maybe so...

I had the Next Evangelicalism beside my bed (nighttime reading) this spring, though I only dabbled into yet. I even brought it to a NT meeting one day.

But I still have to return to it and really read it closer.

What were the most valuable insights you gained from it?
KD

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, just a review. But I am definitely looking forward to it. I'll get back to you with my thoughts.

-eric

Anonymous said...

Keith,

I've finished the first three chapters and I have to say that I think the author is right on. We continue to talk about the collapse of evangelicalism when churches among minorities and immigrants are growing at astounding rates.

I've heard that a theme for CSU this summer is "Grow where we are, go where we're not". I think that before we can go where we're not, we need to take a serious look at the reasons why we're not in those areas [ethnic minorities in cities]. I think we continue to hold out a Christianity that is defined primarily by white culture. Many of our "biblical" values are white values. I'd be very surprised to see anyone who wasn't white on the podium at CSU. Understandably this doesn't click with ethnic minority culture. Our values don't match their values and if we continue to require (even unintentionally) that new believers "become white" to be evangelical, we're no better off than the first century Jews who lost the argument in Acts 15.

So we can talk all we want about wanting to reach people who are different from us, but until we change our definition of Christianity I don't think we'll accomplish our goals. The lesson of the incarnation is that Jesus didn't just come to minister and save humanity, he actually became HUMAN. Our values as evangelicals should start to look a lot more hispanic/asian/african-american if we actually want to reach them. And I think that's a good thing.

I'll keep reading and let you know my thoughts on the rest of the book.

-eric

Keith Davy said...

I recently read John Ortbergs thoughts on Hidden Curriculum:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/thepastor/pastorsrole/hiddencurriculum.html

I think this has some interesting implications for the ethnic/cultural issues (though that wasn't his primary application.)

Anonymous said...

Great link.

I think our "hidden curriculum" in Crusade is white culture.

Our first step forward toward ethnic diversity and growth towards a multi-cultural organization needs to be repentance. Repentance for saying that white values were biblical. Repentance for how we have treated minorities in the past.

"The Next Evangelicalism" is the first book in a long time that I actually want to give to everyone I can. The author has nailed the issue on the head.

I'm praying God will change our hearts so that we can continue to be a part of what he is doing.

-eric

Keith Davy said...

Now I wish I would have brought along the Next Evangelicalism for my summer reading. Oh, well, maybe it will be for August...

Keith Davy said...

Here is a SoJourner interview:
The Next Evangelicalism: Interview with Soong-Chan Rah, Part 1 - http://tinyurl.com/kv3jbl

A good way to get a feel for Rah's thinking in the book...

Keith Davy said...

And part two of the interview:
http://tinyurl.com/knldyr