Thursday, December 27, 2007

CoJourners and The Gracious "Drawing" of the Father

Jesus said, “All that the Father gives me will come to me…” (John 6:37a). The Father graciously gives chosen people to Jesus and, as a consequence, these come to Jesus.

“…whoever comes to me I will never drive away” (6:37b). Jesus does not reject any of the gift. All who come are accepted by him.

“And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day” (6:39). Their hope is secure; their end is sure.

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day” (6:44).

What are the implications for us as CoJourners, involved in witness?

As we enter into people’s spiritual journeys, we must recognize the greater spiritual realities at work. Certainly they are responsible individuals responding to the gracious offer of eternal life – accepting or rejecting the gift of salvation, the hope of which is found in Jesus. But the ability to “come” is preceded by the Father’s giving to Jesus the person (v. 37) and the Father’s drawing the person to Jesus (v. 44).

The Explorer discovers where a person is on their spiritual journey and discerns their openness to hear the gospel. The Guide leads those who are open to Jesus through communicating the gospel. They are thus brought to the threshold of decision. But behind their response and throughout the process, the Father has been at work. Apart from the Father’s work, no one can lead another to come to Jesus. By the Father’s work, all who are given will come.

What confidence should this give us as we engage in other’s spiritual journeys?

No comments: