Thursday, April 5, 2007

Revised: Darwin: A Big Supporter of Missionary Work - Nah...

My original post is below. But, oh the glories of the web, I was soon guided to a fuller understanding, thanks to the comment (below) of an anonymous friend. Darwins faith journey (or journey to "unfaith") is more chronicled at: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/darwin.html. Thanks. Sorry for posting my discovery without further investigation. Another good lesson in humility.
____________________________________________

Okay, I didn't know this. (At least, until a moment ago.) I guess its because I have never felt compelled to read a biography of Charles Darwin. (I have thought about doing it. Just never got there.) Or maybe its because I am a bit limited in my knowledge of Anglican missions.

But did you know that Charles Darwin not only supported (throughout his lifetime), but helped start a missionary soceity? Here it is...

http://www.samscanada.ca/about.htm

The South American Missionary Society has been in existence for over 150 years, starting in England during the travels of such explorers as Charles Darwin and Allen Gardiner. Darwin was so shocked at the living conditions of the people he found living in South America that he said “It is hardly believable that they are fellow creatures and inhabitants of the same world”. The explorers returned to England and appealed to the people to help; thus SAMS was born. Darwin became a life long supporter of SAMS when on a later visit he saw the transformation the society had made.

I wonder how popularizers of 21st century "Darwinism" feel about such an association? Maybe I do want to read that biography after all. Who knows, maybe I am more of a 19th century Darwinian than I knew--at least in missiology.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a short synopsis of Darwin's fall from faith. http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/darwin.html

Keith Davy said...

Thanks for the link. Very interesting (and a bit humbling.) I revised my original post. But did not remove it. It is a good example of a logical fallacy -- i.e. a hasty generalization.